HBO has just released its first teaser trailer for the upcoming season of GOT Season 3. And I do mean a teaser, seeing as how the video is only fifteen lousy seconds of voice over and not a single shot of footage! Damn cable networks, always messing with our heads. And while we’re on the subject, why do they take so long to produce new seasons of our favorite shows? One would think they had to deal with more constrictive budgets, bigger and tougher production schedules, and more complex story lines. Oh wait… they do. Never mind!
Anyway, according to the video, Season 3 will be premiering in March 31st of 2013. And though there is not a great deal of footage from the new season forthcoming, there have been plenty of news releases regarding casting, filming locations, and other production details. For example, filming wrapped up just four days ago in Iceland, one of the prime locations for season 3 since much of the story takes place in the North, in and around “The Wall”. Other shoots were located in Northern Ireland, setting for the North, Croatia, which provided the scenery for Kings Landing, and Morocco, which acts as the setting for the East and the great cities of Slaver’s Bay.
The following new cast members have also been announced:
- Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane, a Wildling raider
- Thomas Sangster as Jojen Reed and Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed, two young Crannogman siblings, children of Howland Reed, a Stark bannerman
- Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully, Catelyn Stark’s brother
- Clive Russell as Brynden Tully, the “Blackfish”, Catelyn’s uncle
- Tara Fitzgerald as Selyse (Florent) Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon’s wife (the character, played by an unnamed extra, briefly appeared in the second season’s episode “The North Remembers”)
- Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon, their daughter
- Diana Rigg as Olenna (Redwyne) Tyrell, the “Queen of Thorns”, Margaery and Loras Tyrell’s grandmother
- Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion, the leader of the “Brotherhood Without Banners” (the character, played by David Michael Scott, briefly appeared in the first season’s episode “A Golden Crown”)
- Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr, a red priest with the Brotherhood
- Philip McGinley as Anguy, an archer with the Brotherhood
- Mackenzie Crook as Orell Skinchanger, a Wildling
- Nathalie Emmanuel as Missandei, a Naathi servant of Daenerys Targaryen
- Anton Lesser as Qyburn, a former maester of the Citadel
- Iwan Rheon as “Boy”
- Ciarán Hinds as Mance Rayder, the Wildling “King-Beyond-The-Wall”. Dominic West was offered the part of Mance Rayder, but turned it down.
- Ed Skrein as Daario Naharis, a Tyroshi mercenary captain
- Jacob Anderson as Grey Worm, a eunuch soldier, captain of the ‘Unsullied’
- Dan Hildebrand as Kraznys mo Naklaz, a wealthy slaver of the Ghiscari city of Astapor.
- Ramon Tikaram as Prendahl ze Ghezn, a captain of a notorious company of sellswords known as the ‘Stormcrows’
Other new characters will include Vargo Hoat, the leader of the mercenary group “Bloody Mummers”. The musicians Will Champion of Coldplay and Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol will make cameo appearances.
And of course, there were plenty of picture leaked, released, and phoned in from the sets. A simple Google search will turn up thousands, I’m sure. In the meantime, watch the trailer and be prepared for more to follow as we near the launch date of GOT Season 3!